Friday, December 10, 2010

One Week, Three Books

So, one of the benefits to having a toddler who will ONLY NAP WHILE LAYING NEXT TO YOU, is that you get a lot of reading done {the other benefit is obviously toddler snuggles}. So, in the past week alone, I have read:


Outlander. Whooo boy. This was one steamy book. I was a little wishy-washy at first because it felt like a Danielle Steele romance novel, and I'm not usually all that into romance novels. Nor am I usually into books set in the 1700's or 1800's. And it was a LONG book, and I wasn't sure that I was ready to invest in such a darn long romance novel. But in the end, I actually enjoyed it a lot. Parts of it were HARD to read (as in the characters go through some pretty awful stuff), but it's been a long time since a book has kept me up past midnight to read and so I've got to give it kudos for that. Also, I'm cursing the fact that between all the libraries in the county, there are only 4 copies of book number 2 in the series!

I noticed that Justin has started reading the book too, so I'll have to see what he thinks of it.




Mockingjay. The last of the Hunger Games Trilogy. I was so, so excited about this book, and I ended up kind of irritated after having read it. I felt like there were THREE BOOKS worth of build up, and only about 50 pages of resolution.

I just felt like the author had an ending in mind, but hadn't really spent enough time thinking about how to get there. There were so many loose ends that I didn't feel were appropriately addressed.



My college roommate from my sophomore year and I Facebooked angry rants about the ending of the book to each other, and it reminded me how much I wish that I had a group of women to do a book club with down here!




The Wednesday Sisters--This was a quick, easy, and enjoyable read for me. Essentially, it's about five women who meet at the park, and decide to get together and form a writing group. They become fast friends. This book reminded me a LOT of both The Jane Austen Book Club and The Friday Night Knitting Club.

It wasn't a heavy or life-changing novel, and it was a bit trite, but it was still a fun read, and one that found me tearing up at the end.










And there you have it. I suppose that I recommend all three, even though Mockingjay ticked me off...because if you've read that far in the Hunger Games series, you have to finish it out. Now the only question is what to read next while I wait for my name to come up for the next Outlander book at the library?!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say..I'm terribly jealous of all the books you get to read! I LOVE to read but it takes me forever to get through a book. I'm about to renew "The Time's Traveler's Wife" for the third time next week! Ay Caramba. I might put these on my "to read" wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.